Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I am not sure about the rest of you, but I am not ready for bone chilling cold. As most of you know I love winter. I love seeing the snow, the cloudy days, the cool crisp breeze, even some of the cold. It is just that my body gets so cold. I wear thermals to bed, I wear socks all day, and I now I wear a coat when going out. In the past I never wore a coat because it is so bulky, you get hot quickly, and the seat belt just will not click correctly.
I keep a winter coat by the bed so when I need to get up at night, as most of us have too once or twice, maybe three times, or more, so my shoulders, neck, and back stay warm. I notice that if I forget to put the coat on, the muscles, lock up, thus a headache. Even the warm spot in the bed cools down during the nightly walks. This early into winter, i have a sheet, two heavy blankets and a very heavy quilt that mom made for me. This quilt is made from all of the leftover pieces of clothing she made for me. I can see the shirts, or the jackets, pjs etc. When did I get so old? I have said it and will say it again, I have a ninety year old body. I have two uncles in their nineties and get around better then I do.
So even though l love this season, I am not looking forward to the upcoming cold months. I use to say that when I retire we would live in Alaska in the summer and live here the rest of the time. I always thought going to a warm place in the winter is for whimps. Well, welcome to the new whimp!
This little story, that I found, reminds me that spring is not that far:
The snow has built a fortress on the hill-
It looms, forbidding in the winter dawn;
The bare trees shiver as the north wind shrills,
Keens a lament for the summer dead and gone.
But in a window where a sunbeam, wan,
Shines for an hour, a splash of crimson bloom
Lightens the shadow, glorifies the room.

'red geranium'
With a nod and a wink-hewal

1 comment:

  1. For a concurring view about winter, read Winter's Approach on page 22 of Relay.

    ReplyDelete