Sunday, September 4, 2011

Seneca wrote" Just as so many rivers, so many showers of rain from above, so many medical springs do not alter the taste of the sea, so the pressure of adversity does not affect the mind of the brave man. For it maintains it's balance, and over all that happens its own complexion, because it is more powerful than external circumstances." I have pondered this thought and I am not sure if I fully agree. However, it also makes the most sense. While this cold eye of my body, my health, continues to plague me, I feel that I have changed, not so much my body, but my mind, my inner being. These last couple of days, my shell of skin, no matter if I have taken extra meds, it hurts. I have been in misery. The one point that has changed is, I understand more and more why some want to, end their life. I keep asking the doctor when will I feel goofy, in la la land? I receive the same reply' if your body needs pain medicine, you will not end up in a trance.' Just once i would love to wake up and be free of this shackle, this illness of my body. Does the affliction, I go through, truly balance me. I realize that I do not have the strength or desire to murder myself. The wonder of life, the hummer bird fighting off the wasp at the feeder, the catbird that chases way the robin at it's bath water, or the gentle breeze on my unruly hair, I wait for the incredibly, astonishing, the surprise of life. So I keep coming back to the main point; what has truly change; the brain or the body?

1 comment:

  1. It is our physical body that changes. It slows down, gets wrinkles and is subject to more and more wearing out processes. But our mind continues to grow and gather nuggets of knowledge. Grandma D wondered how she could age so much and still "feel like I did at 24" She also said she had always accepted what ever life had given her and was determined to keep on doing the same. You have powerful genes. You really have not altered from the boy you were when the wonders of bare feet on cool grass, chasing a butterfly, listening to bird calls or simply listening to the same oft repeated purple cake story were all bits of new delight. As we slow down, we have time to get more acquainted with the beauty of small creations. And so we stay on course.

    ReplyDelete